Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- Every generation, poets and scholars try their hands at translating Homer from ancient Greek into modern languages.
- Being very near to the centre of Hellenistic world, Greek remained the main language of book writing at Alexandria.
- About 98 percent of Greece's people speak Greek as their first language.
- In the Hellenistic era Greek was introduced and spoken along with Aramaic.
- The official language is Romanian, which has Latin roots that date back to the Roman occupation of the area but also contains words from Greek, Slavic languages, and Turkish.
- As the Arab Empire grew, Arabic replaced the Aramaic, Coptic, Greek, and Latin languages and became the main instrument of Arab culture.
- I am skilled in many languages including Latin, Greek, Aramaic and Demotic.
- I have a major in classical languages, Greek and Ancient Hebrew, and a minor in Philosophy.
- The carved inscriptions on the Stone included hieroglyphics - the written language of ancient Egypt - and Greek, which was readily understood.
- Dozens of theater companies in Athens, Thessaloniki, and other areas, perform contemporary works and ancient dramas in modern Greek.
- Talented scientists translated and preserved ancient Greek, Persian and Indian manuscripts.
- Tyndale was a brilliant translator who knew eight languages including Greek, the language of the New Testament and Hebrew, the language of the Old.
- Inscription are also found in different languages such as German, Chinees, Greek, Arabic and many other languages.
- Many of the letters used in writing these languages are derived from ancient Greek.
- He was a man of immense learning, with a wide knowledge of the sciences and of languages: Greek, Hebrew, and Aramaic.
- The accents and other diacritical marks we now use to write ancient Greek are comparatively late inventions.
- This second translation will be from their stronger language, English, into their weaker language, Greek.
- Like all other languages, Greek has its unique characteristics.
- The new languages include Czech, Danish, Dutch, Greek, Hungarian, Norwegian, Polish and Swedish.
- It is written in two languages: Greek and Latin.
2(person)griego masculinegriega feminine
- The ancient Macedonians were considered non-Greek but are claimed as co-nationals by the modern Greeks.
- Typical of the Greeks ' modern cuisine are feta cheese and retsina wine.
- In American folklore, however, the same activity is associated with modern Greeks.
- It is the home of various people including Albanians, Vlachs, Greeks, Serbs, Bulgars, and Turks.
- Scots regard whisky as a more traditional drink, while Spaniards, Greeks, Thais and Americans view it as trendy.
- Turks, Arabs, Greeks, Armenians, Slavs, and Jews were represented.
- Other minority populations in Armenia include Russians, Greeks, and Jews.
- It turned out she was Turkish Cypriot and had had an affair with a Greek Cypriot, and because Turks and Greeks didn't get on back then, her friends disowned her.
- At weekends, parties of Greeks descend from Athens, three and a half hours away by car.
- Groups of ethnic Greeks and Turks waved at each other as they walked across the buffer zone that 24 hours earlier had been a no-man's land.
- We had Croatians, Italians, Greeks, etc., and it was a very diverse cultural mix.
- One third of the population - Greeks as well as Turks - were forced to leave their homes.
- The Turks and Greeks have made much of the lemon in their cooking, using it both as marinade and dressing.
- She spent long years in exile and became a symbol for Greeks all over the world as well as for Greek national music.
- According to official figures, 98% of Greeks are Greek Orthodox Christians.
- The impact of the story on Greece and Greeks would be hard to exaggerate.
- But the Finns, like the French and Greeks and Irish and the rest of them are quite happy with the euro.
- The Greeks like the idea of backgammon, a national obsession, or paradosiaki hori, their traditional dancing.
- For the Greeks it is a matter of national pride, and over the next three weeks Athens will have to prove itself capable of hosting the modern games.