Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(superior)(speech/ideas) elevado(lecture/journal) de tono elevado
- With property taxes spiraling dramatically, the place also risks turning into a high-toned playground for the rich.
- The current catalog of the high-toned house Westminster John Knox Press, for example, features The Gospel According to the Simpsons.
- However, his publisher seems to have required a more high-toned explanation before furnishing him with a fresh tranche of money and renown.
- There would be no threats of boycotts; there would be no marches; there would be no high-toned talk.
- She offers a high-toned essay on two stage performers behind a bright-red scrim, posed in front of gloriously vivid flowers.
- From her conversation with Sylvia, Bob gathered that Caroline spent her evenings at high-toned discotheques and gambling clubs, her days recuperating.
- And of course, the project isn't entirely philanthropic, because the corporation benefits from high-toned PR.
- His first two novels suffered from a high-toned moralism that was equal parts political correctness and vaguely Zen-flavored mysticism.
- That way, interesting cinematic liberties may be taken without fear of high-toned academic outrage or comparison to the text's richness.
- Though typical in its insistence on the brand's exotic appeal, Price's endorsement was unusually high-toned.
- My Baby's Lost has the most interesting of the beats on the record, with Eamon's showing off the finer points of his high-toned voice.
- Prospects see those high-toned communiques and imagine their own messages similarly adorned.
- Note that there is no commentary allowed in my pristine, high-toned blog here.
- Perhaps one shouldn't make too much of the high-toned language.
- A painting like Elevated was at once a confrontation with New York's urban jungle and an experiment in an edgy, high-toned, Cubist-derived modernism.
- The high-toned Tokyo banquet is clear evidence that the controversial era of the Kamikaze has not passed into oblivion.
2(affectedly stylish)de buen tono