The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(carved image)ídolo masculine
- These were, we must remember, unbelieving Gentiles, worshipers of idols and knew very little of the Jewish religion.
- In theological terms this led into seeing it as defined through the worship of God and idols.
- Some of the children of Israel had begun to stray after the daughters of Moav and to worship their idols.
- The pagan deities' idols Baal and Ashera, on the other hand, had no such scruples.
- This is based on Isaiah's notion that the idols represented the purported power of the nations.
- Each village has its own goddess or Gramadevata, often in the form of an idol worshipped under a sacred tree.
- Make this city one of peace and security and preserve me and my sons from worshipping idols.
- Aryans on the other hand had no idols and worshipped nature, as human forms that resided in the heavens.
- Some worship idols, foolishly ignorant; others put trust in the tombs of the dead.
- They even went to heathen temples, worshipped idols, and called to the Devil for help.
- Rashi suggests that Rachel stole Laban's idols to prevent her father from worshiping them.
- Then we have a history of divinity bestowed on idols, rivers and trees by men.
- What we believe about Genesis is not an issue like eating meat sacrificed to idols.
- Israel had more heathen kings and again the people began to worship idols.
- What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols?
- Paul himself offers a good example in his treatment of eating meats sacrificed to idols.
- Ironically, Abraham's father, Terach, had made his living selling idols of various gods.
- Some people are so weak that they are afraid of eating things sacrificed to idols.
- They destroyed an idol to a god that was leading the world into immorality.
- My mind sped from the first commandment to Paul's advice about eating food offered to idols.
2(person)ídolo masculinea rock/movie idol — un ídolo del rock/del cine
- What friend, dignitary, hero, sports idol, movie star, etc. might we ask over to eat with us?
- But he was also a keen footballer who admired his idols Manchester United and who enjoyed a kickabout with friends.
- We change our tastes and opinions with the same blinding speed that TV can make you famous or the press turn on idols they once loved.
- It would seem the British public would prefer to admire their idols from afar but next door is just a little too close for comfort.
- For many adolescents, particularly young women, their hearts really do belong to singing and movie idols.
- IT'S taken him 30 years, but Al Pacino finally seems comfortable with his status as a movie idol.
- Football watchdogs are hoping to cut the cost for soccer fans desperate to keep up with their soccer idols.
- In the Arab world many of these people are literary celebrities, film idols, and media stars.
- Up to five children will impersonate their favourite rock and pop idols live on stage in front of an audience with special voting keypads.
- The Presley posse had gathered in York to celebrate and commemorate their idol, who died 25 years ago today.
- Raising the subject is more racist than people simply choosing their favourite idol.
- Now, she dreams of becoming a big name producer emulating her idol, hip-hop star Kanye West.
- A vegetarian socialist with great personal charm and a definite way with the love poem, you remain an idol for female readers.
- Wilder grew up loving Buster Keaton and Charlie Chaplin, but his great idol was famed director Ernst Lubitsch.
- I know that Dad was an idol to millions who grew up loving his music and his ideals.
- He had the look of a former idol or tennis star with his medium build, blue eyes, and short wavy blonde hair.
- But he will know that the Victorians had their own idols, especially among the heroes and martyrs of the Empire.
- Now the aristos and film idols have been joined by sports stars.
- After all no-one needs past heroes when there are new idols to laud.
- He just couldn't believe that he would in fact become a big rock star, just like his idols.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!