The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
- Using calls that have infrasonic fundamental frequencies, female elephants are able to communicate with large numbers of specific individuals over long distances.
- Preliminary findings with electrostatic fields, ionizing radiation, infrasonic waves, and meteorological factors are also examined to consider their effects on the brain in relation to apparitional experiences.
- When the rate of vibration is below the range of human hearing, the sound is termed infrasonic; when it is above that range, it is called ultrasonic.
- The routine up-and-down movements of the waves act as a giant loudspeaker, pushing the air at infrasonic frequencies.
- In addition to meteors, infrasonic energy is generated by chemical explosions, supersonic aircraft, tornadoes, landslides, earthquakes, and volcanoes.
- The paralysing effect of a tiger's roar is said by some to come from its infrasonic content (around 18Hz, the resonant frequency of the human eyeball, alarmingly).
- One psychologist thinks that the odd sensations that people attribute to ghosts may be caused by infrasonic vibrations.
- The infrasonic range is roughly between 1 and 20 Hz.
- At the infrasonic level, according to Stephen Handel, ‘sound no longer has a continuous tonal quality; we do hear sounds below 20 Hz, but they resemble a series of independent thumps’.
- Rain has a very low infrasonic signal and the elephants hear it over great distances,’ he said.
- These infrasonic sounds are capable of traveling long distances, and most occur in the early morning or evening hours, when ground air is cool enough to carry the frequency without interference.
- Rhinoceroses produce infrasonic vocalizations, though their vocal repertoire is still largely undocumented.
- Singing whales appear to slalom from one geographic feature to the next using the echoes of their intense, infrasonic voices to navigate.
- Seismologists and volcanologists use both seismic and infrasonic signals to monitor volcanic activity.
- Powerful infrasonic calls enable them to send messages and warnings, sometimes over long distances.
- He says he once invited people to spend a few minutes in a container he was pumping with infrasonic sound.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!