Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(disagreeable)(sight/smell/manner) desagradableI found the thought of it rather off-putting — solo de pensar en ello se me quitaban las ganas
- At first sight, the law may seem obscure, complex and horribly off-putting for the ordinary man or woman.
- Given how the brain perceives motion, randomly moving balloons aren't very off-putting.
- If parking is too short-term or too expensive people won't have sufficient time to shop or will find the additional cost off-putting.
- Some will find the starry-eyed closeness to nature and the whiff of new-age spirituality off-putting.
- Yet coupled with the rest of the presentation, the wacky words are more endearing than off-putting.
- Some technologies are off-putting, but I haven't found the iPod to be one of them.
- Woe betide if you use flash during a performance - it's off-putting to other audience members and most of all, to the performers.
- Valerian has an off-putting taste so blend it with equal amounts of a better-tasting herb such as mint.
- But numbers usually make a stronger case for a chief executive's dismissal than an off-putting personality.
- They can also be sent to general psychiatric hospitals but experts say this can be off-putting for the patient and result in less specialist care.
- Again, we're hearing a torrent of policy, and I think this is off-putting to most people.
- He really didn't care if it was off-putting, but if it stuck with even one person once a week, he had done his work.
- I have always found it a bit off-putting, although I could never exactly think why.
- Something about movies that announce their delightfulness so aggressively is kind of off-putting.
- Too much choice can be off-putting, especially if you have to negotiate with a UK company over the phone.
- Piles of junk mail littering the hallways of a communal block of flats, for instance, can be very off-putting to potential buyers.
- Smith ate at Amaryllis once and says that, while he enjoyed the food, the situation and style of the restaurant were off-putting.
- And today, a bit late, it arrived, with a slightly off-putting scarlet refurbished label on the bottom.
- Despite the off-putting appearance, we did sit down to eat it.
- Actually its colour is a little off-putting, so close your eyes as you sip this intensely sweet and zesty wine, full of marmalade tang.