The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
- Experts now bracket humans in the ‘hominidae’ family of great apes, along with orangutans, chimpanzees, bonobos and gorillas.
- He added: ‘When people think of monkeys they think of chimpanzees and orangutans which are actually great apes.’
- In fact, actually compared to chimpanzees and gorillas the orangutans are really much more endangered.
- Although orangutans live solitary lives most of the time, they have a complex social structure and are characterized by extreme sexual dimorphism.
- At the zoo, people flock to gawp at the chimps, gorillas and orang-utans.
- ‘There are 6,000 orang-utans left in Sumatra and they are losing a thousand a year,’ said Galster.
- The endangered orang-utans live wild only on the islands of Sumatra and Borneo, and are the largest arboreal mammals on earth.
- A baby orang-utan - Budi, meaning the wise one - has been born to mum Subis, bringing the total number of Sumatran orang-utans to seven.
- Besides the more well-known gorillas, the zoo is home to two families of chimpanzees and a pair of orangutans.
- This scheme will give eight eager, outgoing, environmentally interested young people the opportunity to head into the Borneo Jungle on a challenging three-week mission to help endangered orang-utans.
- The lifeboat is also occupied by a zebra, an orangutan, and a hyena.
- There are an estimated 13,000 orang-utans left in Sabah from a population of over 145,000 100 years ago, making this their last stronghold in Malaysia.
- The plight of the orangutans is very moving and we felt the foundation would be a very appropriate place to raise funds for.
- The fires have driven orang-utans, already rapidly declining due to forest clearing, into populated areas, where the adults have been killed for food and the young taken for the illegal pet trade.
- Chimpanzee families really have something to screech about now that they, along with a pair of orangutans, have moved into new premises at the Johannesburg Zoo.
- An eight-day trip costs around £1200 and may be combined with rainforest trips to see orang-utans or a diving trip to Layang Layang.
- At breakfast time you can eat with the orang-utans.
- It has the added advantage of not disturbing the denizens of the forest who assume that the people crossing it are orang-utans!
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!