Learn More About Spanish Culture
transitive verb overlaid, overlaid
1to overlay sth with sth — recubrir algo de algo
- Any of us can become terrified at any moment if fear overlays us.
- Football retained tenacious local loyalties, overlaid by denominational and social rivalries, mediated by the search for success and corresponding reward.
- Consequently, the difficult circumstances of their current situation are at least partially overlaid by a larger faith in the dignity of labor, the power of collective action, and the ultimate triumph of the working class.
- Early detection of Addison's disease is not easy: non-specific symptoms and fatigue may be overlaid by signs of depression (as is also the case with hypothyroidism).
- And then overlaying all of that, is the security concern.
- In several examples, the base metal is overlaid with silver, and many of the inlays are gold or silver.
- The unidentified base metals are overlaid with silver.
- In the rest of the house all parts were overlaid with gold and adorned with gems and mother-of-pearl.
- These areas are then overlaid with a curious but beautiful, whitish veil-like layer, as if to remind us that her scenes are fictive.
- The entire deck is overlaid with a 50 mm thick layer of asphaltic concrete.
- The plates were then overlaid with an alkaline phosphatase assay solution.
- It's as though their scales are overlaid with black lace.
- These labels were overlaid with a sheet of self adhesive clear plastic film from a high street stationer and distributed to the house staff.
- The rest is overlaid by gradations of watered blue that have soaked into the canvas and recall stylized waves and clouds.
- In the heavier thicknesses first overlay or butter the steel with the same filler metal and then weld the overlayed surface to the copper.
- To achieve the texture she desired in her pastels she used a type of paper overlaid with pumice or sand in the 1920s.
1(covering, layer)revestimiento masculinean overlay of cynicism — una capa de cinismo
- Films, coatings, and overlays generally become less cost effective as production quantities increase, especially when the entire surface of work pieces must be hardened.
- Watch how the pros produce stunning decorative overlays from start to finish, including surface preparation, pre-overlay repair, placing, and finishing.
- The company's warehouse floor serves as a testing ground for new finishes, overlays, and polishing techniques.
- It occurs to me that one of the reasons the fake overlays work is that real ATMs these days are often so shoddily designed that they already look fake.
- When shown a black number seven, these people begin to interpret it as a seven and see a yellow-coloured overlay on the digit even though they know the number is in black.
- The road-cuts there expose a deep overlay of sandy soil, very different from the black topsoil elsewhere in Iowa.
- Some distant street lights are casting patches of yellow criss-crossing branches as an overlay on the swirling flat ice surface.
- Lace is very popular on its own or as trimming - expect to see it worn during the day and used as an overlay for evening dresses.
- Stardek floor and wall overlay forms a strong, long-lasting bond with concrete and a range of other building materials.
- The literature says to space joints in feet the same as the thickness of the overlay in inches, but we wanted to try something different.
- The dust jacket comes in two parts, a paper jacket and a transparent overlay.
- In general, the concrete overlays appear to be effective in decreasing the rate of concrete deterioration.
- With a new concrete overlay, however, the mile-long, two-lane pavement was placed in 20 calendar days.
- Some control surfaces get around the label problem with plastic overlays.
- More often, overlays are used by centers that did not maintain lanes properly in the past.
- Trim the sheer overlay even with fashion fabric all around.
- The liveliest of these were his watercolors, which imposed a certain delicacy of touch to his reliance on overlays of transparent washes to create complicated tonal weathers.
- The bride looked radiant in an ivory gown of duchess satin, consisting of a bodice top with an overlay of embroidered lace and buttoning detail on the back.
- This means they are not guaranteeing that the trim, the dress, the overlay, the lining, etc. or any part thereof will withstand soaking in water.
- A second overlay or layer is recommended on thicker materials.
2(on map, diagram)lámina superpuesta femininetransparencia superpuesta feminine
- The structure of the painting reveals itself as do those anatomical diagrams with transparent overlays illustrating the separate skeletal, circulatory, pulmonary and muscular systems.
- Analysts may create additional overlays as needed.
- Circle the corresponding number on the reader service card for more information about stampable vertical overlays.
- Transparent overlays of green designated the bands that the Harrisons propose to return to nature.
- The semi-transparent overlay sheet can easily be folded back for placing photos or illustrations underneath for the purpose of tracing those images into your favorite editor.
- The third overlay depicts information available on finances, business transactions, assets, and related issues.
- The old drawing would simply have an overlay put over it illustrating the new detail.
- The two floorplans shown in the Appendix were photocopied onto acetate sheets that were used as overlays to classify the location of each unusual experience.
- Soon the Army began innovation, turning to transparent overlays instead of blocks so that a permanent record of each move could be made.
- Other diagrams are presented as overlays onto photographed images.
- This was done by making an exact one-sixth scale photographic reproduction of the painting and tracing the principal lines of the composition onto a clear transparent overlay.
- Use tracing paper overlays and a soft pencil to sketch new landscape ideas and plans over your base map.
- Later an expansion was released that included a map overlay and two additional sets of player pieces.
- Selected reconnaissance areas are usually presented on a map overlay.
- Moreover, there were no paper maps or graphical overlays.
- The age of the map hoard with its acetate overlays and alcohol pens should be over.
3Printing(with masculine article in the singular) alza feminine
- New code was added to Maya to remove the requirement for hardware overlay in order to provide compatibility even with nonaccelerated drivers.