The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(person/animal) pasar el invierno
- The film director humorously compared the number of people who rectified their name with the number of black-faced spoonbills, a protected migratory bird that overwinters in Taiwan.
- Though the population is still fragile, today as many as 1,000 birds overwinter in the state.
- Most of them overwinter elsewhere, like the broad-tailed and rufous hummingbirds that pass the cold months in central Mexico, migrating back in summer to drink flow-er nectar and make their chicks on high.
- They seldom overwinter north of southern Kansas, where they can be a major pest of winter wheat, especially when mild winters permit reproduction and survival.
- The RSPB was particularly keen to provide a replacement habitat for the black-tail godwit, which overwinters on the Humber, before returning to Iceland in early spring.
1(plant) guardar durante el invierno
- When temperatures drop, stable flies overwinter as larvae or pupae in piles of larval breeding material.
- Larvae overwinter in the stalk, pupate in early summer, and adults emerge from June to September.
- Seedcorn beetles overwinter as adults or pupae.
- The best control measure is to collect and destroy fallen leaves in the autumn, as this will prevent the fungus overwintering on them and infecting the new foliage in the spring.
- Our two major species overwinter as eggs in the soil, hatching in early June to feed on corn roots.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!