Learn English Grammar From A–Z
nounplural patellas, plural patellae
- The patella is the largest sesamoid bone in the body and provides increased mechanical advantage for knee extension.
- The joint is held in place by ligaments and covered at the front by the patella (kneecap).
- Tendons - these are tough bands that join the muscles of the upper and lower leg, and also hold the patella (knee cap) in place.
- No other patient had an articular cartilage injury of the patella, trochlea, or tibia.
- The combined tendon of quadriceps attaches to the superior and medial borders of the patella, and in part in front and beyond the patella to join the patellar ligament.
- The patella and entire patellar tendon were left intact.
- Twelve distal femoral condyles, proximal tibial condyles, and patellae were harvested; all soft tissue was removed.
- Bone plugs from the patella and the tibial tubercle were taken in line with the incised tendon by using a small saw.
- He broke his tibia and damaged his patella tendon and anterior cruciate ligament.
- The iliotibial band is a thick band of fascia that crosses the hip joint and extends distally to insert on the patella, tibia, and biceps femoris tendon.
- Cartilage under the patella or kneecap wears away and the surface becomes rough and grainy.
- A vertical incision is made over the pes anserinus insertion halfway between the medial border of the patella ligament and the posterior margin of the tibia.
- The patella, or kneecap, is a floating bone within the tendon of the quadriceps muscle group.
- I had my knee reconstructed back in September and the surgeon took a strip from my patella to reinforce the cruciate ligament.
- Typical sites for such separation include the medial femoral condyle and the patella.
- The selection of the points of reference on the patella for the second line (B - [B.sub.1]) can be complicated by the fact that the contours of the articular surface of patellae vary.
- Encourage the patient to relax the quadriceps and push the patella medially back into place.
- For example, resurfacing of the patella with a patellar button is practised routinely, selectively, or not at all.
- The goal is restoration and maintenance of balance of the patella within the trochlea.
- In our experiment, the sensor was sutured to the patellar tendon so that the sensor would stay underneath the patella when the knee flexed to different flexion angles.