The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(ship, person)corsario masculine
- The difference between pirates and privateers was that the pirates were simply sea robbers who captured or looted ships at sea for plunder, without authority.
- However, American neutral shipping suffered grievous losses at the hands of the Royal Navy and French privateers.
- Nearly all the slaves were brought to Bermuda from the West Indies or as slaves on ships captured by Bermuda privateers.
- According to the records of Lloyds, between 1775 and 1781 American privateers captured 2,600 British merchantmen.
- He spent two years in the post, toiling to save Louis XVI, sheltering aristocrats from the Paris mob, and working hard to protect American merchant vessels against French privateers.
- The US navy also took 50 merchant ships, while privateers took a further 450.
- The basis for the story is that in February 1704, William Dampier, a noted British buccaneer and navigator, arrived at Juan Fernandez with two ships, both licensed privateers.
- Great names are associated with the privateers and the ships that sailed the waters off the south coast of Ireland including the name of the great John Paul Jones.
- Bored with this profession, or aware that it was a declining industry, Paine left home and shipped aboard a privateer in 1756.
- There is also reference to the Wasp, formerly the Guepe, a French privateer captured in 1801 and later under the command of Lt. Joseph Packwood in 1805.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!