Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1quinto centenario masculinethe quincentenary celebrations — las celebraciones del quinto centenario
- The quincentenary is a significant public event and the Royal Mail has a tradition of recognising significant institutions who have contributed to the public good.
- Many books, published just before the quincentenary of Columbus's arrival in this continent in 1492, ignore the destructive influence of Columbus's arrival.
- The series goes a long way toward explaining, if inadvertently, why the quincentenary turned into a fiasco.
- A few years ago, writing a biography of Christopher Columbus for the quincentenary of his discoveries, I came across a wonderful Spanish term - querencia - usually translated as ‘love of home’.
- 1992 marked the quincentenary of Columbus' first landfall in America, and led to a spate of conferences, exhibitions, and books reflecting on the complex legacy of the Genoese navigator's voyage.
- The exhibition coincides with the quincentenary of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh.
- An infamous example was the quincentenary of Columbus in Santo Domingo in 1992.