The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of sierra
1(manual)sierra feminine(with one handle) serrucho masculine(with one handle) serrote masculine Mexico(power-driven) sierra mecánica feminine
- Mark the cut line on the board and position the saw with its blade on the line.
- Pruning saws have narrower blades with coarse teeth that are designed to cut on the pull stroke.
- Some grout saws have teeth, others have abrasive coatings on the blade.
- Jacob awoke on a cold morning to an unending beeping and a sound only comparable to a saw cutting wood.
- A pruning saw with a curved blade that's narrow at the tip will help you get into tight spaces.
- A contractor saw or a hybrid saw of good quality suits the needs of most woodworkers.
- Perforated hardboard hung on the wall behind or near a workbench gives you a great way to store saws, chisels and the like, because it's so easy to rearrange the various hooks and holders.
- Small hand bowsaws or pruning saws may be suitable for small operations.
- There are various types of saws: keyhole, coping, hack, and hand.
- Mark the opening for the niche, and cut it out with a sharp utility knife or a wallboard saw.
- Going in with a pruning saw to undo a decade or more of overgrowth in one shot can be disastrous to an old tree.
- It helps to wrap an elastic cord around the whole bunch and use a saw to cut the old stems below the cord.
- To cut quickly and safely, saws must be sharpened often.
- The study, involving more than 14,000 Utah students, noted that nearly 89 percent of these accidents involved the use of equipment such as table saws, band saws and other saws.
- We all probably already know that sharp tools like saws and knives are needed to carve pumpkins and that taking precautions when using the tools is a necessity.
- Most tile stores sell grout saws, an inexpensive tool with a wooden or plastic handle and a tip covered with carbide grit.
- He found a number of small cutting tools and what he believed was a bone saw.
- Many were idle now, but some still turned, and it didn't need a good ears to hear the sounds of hammers, saws, chisels, and other tools coming from the large brick buildings clustered about them.
- Also on display were his tools - a hammer, saws and knives - whose whittled handles bear elaborate designs and whose blades are made from scrap metal.
- There were saws and a small ax in Thad's tool chest that luckily was in a closet and not left in the truck.
- It's a super-modern sawmill with huge mechanical saws controlled by computers.
- Use of power drills or saws should be avoided if they are likely to come into contact with high-infectivity tissue.
- Instead, the company has focused on repeatedly modernizing its production facilities with tools such as computer-controlled, laser-guided saws.
- One of the more popular saws for harvesting is a power driven circular saw mounted on the end of a wand or boom.
- The saw was also equipped with a mechanism for tightening and tracking the blade.
- Most power saws made today have ports that can attach to vacuum tubing.
- Remember that cutting this product - especially with power saws - produces a fine dust with microscopic fibers in it, so it's imperative that you wear both a respirator and goggles.
- You can't expect good results using the standard blades that come with most saws.
- These saws have a full cabinet that contains the motor and are the largest, heaviest and most expensive of the table saw models.
- In addition, he claims that he was required to operate machinery with moving parts including band saw blades and cut saws, work which can be very difficult and which is potentially dangerous.
- Brick saws also utilize a water-cooled, diamond-tipped circular blade, but the blade and the motor are mounted overhead in a pivoting frame.
- Some types of saws utilize a blade that is coupled directly to the motor, which cuts down on weight and cost but typically reduces the amount of torque generated.
- With a combination blade in your saw, set the depth of cut just to cut through the sheathing.
- Hold the base plate, or shoe, of the saw against the board to be sure the blade is lined up with the line.
- Speed boats raced through the waves making a pattern of sound similar to a chain saw cutting through tough wood.
- If you don't own a miter saw, rent one.
- In addition, the noise from electric saws frightens away the fauna for miles around, emptying the forest of life.
- Since you cannot score and crack it like ceramic tiles, your best bet is to rent a wet saw.
- The parallel blades of a gang saw may take a week to slice through one granite block.
transitive verb sawed, sawn
1(wood/branch) (con sierra) cortar(wood/branch) serrar(wood/branch) aserrar(wood/branch) (with handsaw) cortar (con un serrucho)(wood/branch) (with handsaw) serruchar Latin America(wood/branch) (with handsaw) aserruchar Chilewe sawed down the trees — talamos los árboles con la sierra
- to saw sth off — cortar algo con una sierra
- to saw sth up — cortar algo en trozos con una sierra
- Sanded and rough sawn plywood will develop surface checks, especially when exposed to moisture and sunlight.
- Dust mask and goggles are necessary for work with all types of insulation, or when sawing wood.
- If a supervisor spends eight hours of his nine-hour workday alongside a crew of carpenters, sawing wood and pounding nails with them, is he blue collar?
- They would either have to spend money to thin a forest in order to allow the remaining trees to grow to the size needed to make quality sawn timber or leave all the trees with less space to grow into and accept a lower quality of timber.
- A new floor of locally sawn white oak planks has been laid.
- Radially sawn timbers give better yields and more stable sections than conventionally milled timbers.
- Minimalists will love the temple stone garden in which sawn tree trunks weave a path through unadorned gravel.
- Only sawn timber, roofing iron and floorboards were shipped from Adelaide.
- There was a lumberjack who was sawing a tree, and the tree fell on his leg.
- They did everything: splitting logs and sawing wood, laying bricks and tiles, carving wood decorations and balconies, and making furniture and carriages.
- Harry had built the house from scratch - felling the timber, sawing it into planks and hammering in the nails.
- We had our old sofa in the garden, it was wrecked and my Dad was sawing it into pieces to get it out of the garden gate.
- Occasionally, we would work together and finish a tree by sawing it with a large saw.
- Personally I yearn for table-cut diamonds, serious stones sawn in half so they have no facets; they don't sparkle or shine, just glow with a restrained, secret cool ardour.
- Some were sawing, some were nailing and others came and went, delivering wood, nails and other tools.
- Can you imagine hammering or sawing without the proper support?
- A plank fifty feet long and eight inches thick could be sawn on both edges in less than five minutes!
- Lumber is sawn to produce all surface orientations, from flat-sawn to edge grain.
- Arriving in Quebec City the logs were sawn into lumber and shipped around the world.
- Tull, their neighboring farmer, is manning the wagon, while Cash is sawing wood.
- to saw sth off — cortar algo con una sierra
intransitive verb sawed, sawn
1(person) (con sierra) cortar(person) serrar(person) (con serrucho) (with handsaw) cortar(person) (with handsaw) serruchar Latin America(person) (with handsaw) aserruchar Chile
2(wood) serrarse(wood) cortarse
- Their power is absolute, and, as the old saw has it, absolute power corrupts absolutely.
- More broadly, though, history teaches that the old saw is correct - shares do offer the best returns in the long run.
- According to the old saw, a language is a dialect with an army and a navy.
- But you may recall I packed a late lunch and, as the old saw goes, time waits for no one.
- Don't believe the old saw that you can't be out and still be a mover and shaker in Hollywood.
- The old saw that champagne goes right to your head has been proven to be true.
- Whether or not they like current expressions of democracy, I think it would be fair to say that most people agree with this old saw.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!