Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1tercer riel masculinetercer rail masculine Spain
- Most of these have existed for some time, and current is supplied through a third rail bringing direct current at about 800 Volts.
- New Zealand railways are largely powered by overhead electric cables or by diesel, rather than the third rail electrification systems which are widely used in US and European urban rail networks.
- They scaled barbed wire fences, leaping over instant death on electrified third rails, and running from police.
- The fox, which was hit by a train or electrocuted by the third rail, has been left at the side of the track for at least four weeks despite it being reported on January 30.
- Although exact details have yet to be finalised, the new vehicles will probably be powered by diesel or electricity through a third rail in the middle of the lane.
- All power to signals, the third rail which supplies power to trains, all power points and lighting went out at 6.30 pm.
- Many of these are running on English lines with power supplied through a third rail below the train.
- He received a jolt of electricity from the deadly third rail which carries 750 volts.
- There is no third rail on the connector from the mainline, so we needed the diesel for that stretch too.
- When the New York City subway system's famed third rail lost power, some 350,000 riders were trapped.
- The 6.25 miles from Parkdale to Weston became a Joint Section, with a third rail added.
- Power will be drawn from a third rail acting as a conductor and running between the two rails.
- The third rail was added after 1973 so that the sand cleaning facility in the old yard in Cuautla could be used by the standard gauge.
- It's a different service down here - electrified by third rail rather than overhead wire and the rolling stock is different so direct comparisons are difficult.
- Aa flagman on a track crew was electrocuted as a result of falling on the third rail in Manhattan.
- The conversion entailed the laying of a third rail, temporarily, so that in the changeover period trains for either gauge could be operated.
- We walked down the tracks, passing by the platforms, and making sure not to step on the third rails, even though the power was probably out.
- She fell off the subway platform onto the track, burning her left hand on the third rail.
- These days, though, there is something far more frightening lurking down in the Underground - worse even than the live third rail.
- These aren't third rails, these are the generators that provide the power for the third rails.