The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(in UK)tory masculine, feminine
- The Whigs owed their name, like the Tories, to the exclusion crisis of Charles II's reign.
- Disraeli had resisted the attempts of some of his party faithful to make the Tories a solely Anglican party.
- It was much broader than Tory or church party and avoided the divisive names of Whig and Tory at a time when many were combining to overthrow Walpole.
- These were not political parties in the sense of the Whigs or Tories, or Hats and Caps.
2(in US history)realista masculine, feminine
- Conversely, the monarchical tradition in Europe and Canada fostered Tory statism.
- His childhood home was in Winton, a working-class area far in its culture from the conventional view of Bournemouth as a retirement home for Britain's highest concentration of Tory voters.
- There is a grain of truth here, but we are all now too conscious of middle-class socialists, Tory workers, and the like, to pursue this line uncritically.
- Our only chance was somehow to win the support of sufficient numbers of Tory councillors.
- The fraud trials and convictions of more than a dozen former Tory MLAs, cabinet ministers and party hacks from the Devine era have been going on for about two years, with more to come.
- Unlike most other party youth wings, none of these various Tory youth brigades was ever officially affiliated to the party either the Alliance or now the Conservatives.
- By deliberately steering between the extremes of prevailing Whig and Tory philosophies he incurred the complaints of both sides.
- It is, after all, easy to forget that guitar-groups reached their apogee during the last years of Tory rule.
- What is novel is the error in the minds of Tory pundits: the fallacy of the superior virtue of the blessed.
- He describes himself as a long-time Tory supporter who was in favour of the merger last year of the Conservatives with their often bitter right-wing rivals the Alliance.
- Given the Tory divisions over Europe, it is likely that a strong pro or anti thrust would split the party.
- The immediate goal would be the defeat of the Liberals by a Tory government; the next step would be the abrogation of NAFTA, something which the agreement permits on six months' notice.
- Nevertheless, as has been well documented, the Tory government was very critical of the BBC's coverage of the war.
- The Tory philosophy of government is healthy and it is also healthy in terms of the quality of people it attracts.
- The debate on the Maastricht Treaty tore apart the last Tory government.
- They were the prototype for most Tory election addresses for the next century.
- By backing a Tory amendment, the Government will split any opposition to its stance.
- The lesson of the Tory age - that long-life governments have to take particular care to guard against corruption - has been forgotten already.
- It was envisioned, the story goes, as a short-term, inconsequential distraction, not a lasting symbol of the Tory campaign's ineptitude and crudity.
- The poll found that the embattled Tory leader's personal rating is on the slide as his party is convulsed by fresh in-fighting.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!