The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of vertical
1(vertical)(post/position) vertical(posture) derecho(posture) erguidoto place/stand sth upright — colocar/poner algo de pie / vertical
- sit upright — siéntate derecho
- he held himself upright throughout the ceremony — se mantuvo erguido durante toda la ceremonia
- He was upright immediately, staring at her in shock.
- Within a matter of seconds, he was snoring as if he were not upright in a car, but lying comfortably in his own bed.
- When we parted she was upright, energised, smiling and laughing.
- But suddenly, instead of finding herself laying in the filth, she was shocked to find she was still upright.
- He was upright in an instant, huffing and puffing with such violence that his entire body seemed to quake and quiver with every breath.
- Flips were pretty basic, but basically you angled the tip of the board up and then brought it around in a circle until you were upright again.
- A few of them looked up at this lone upright figure, wading through the masses, but they didn't pay him much heed.
- Before I was fully upright, a powerful surge of pain engulfed my body.
- There was also a family of four, a tall, upright man with fair hair, and a woman beside him who was plump and dark-haired.
- When I was finally upright, I was almost trembling with pain, but I had only come close to yelping once.
- Though she was upright, the blood seemed to be rushing from her head.
- As soon as she was upright again, she began running as fast as she could along the ridge, angling uphill and away from the river.
- By sitting in a relaxed upright position, you make effective use of your vestibular system, which helps us to maintain balance.
- Horseriding is an excellent antidote for those of us who slouch, since stomach muscles must be kept tight in order to maintain an upright position in the saddle.
- With barbell in hand, and squeezing with your hamstrings, raise your body to an upright position.
- There may be less room in the front, but it still offers comfort and space for driver and passenger alike, and a pleasantly upright driving position gives you a sense of command.
- She drew herself back to an upright position, exhaling.
- Suddenly she was brought to an upright position, blood rushed back down from her previously upside down head, before it came back up to flame her pale face.
- Next she returns to an upright position and repeats the rotation with her arms extended overhead, rotating toward her left side and then her right.
- She was being dragged straight towards the water when she pulled her knees up to her chest and heaved with her feet, regaining an upright position.
- It is a typical stone row, comprising a line of upright stone slabs, constructed about 2000 bc as a ceremonial site.
- Each gate will have the ability to revolve on a hinge, from a horizontal resting position on the bottom of the sea to an upright position rising above sea level.
- It clicks into place in an upright position when needed.
- Instead, it will be placed in an upright position next to the speaker.
- He said Easter Island now has some trees and many of the statues have been brought to an upright position again.
- She's in very good condition, in an upright position on the seabed.
- This space is large enough to accommodate four large Samsonite suitcases in an upright position.
- The bathroom, for example, has a bath that can be moved in an upright position, aromatic oils and special music can be added.
- The man finally stands up and slowly pulls his motorbike into an upright position.
- Then I heard a choking noise and when I came into the lounge I found Lee stuck under the chair which was in its normal upright position.
- Encourage the stem that will form the new plant to grow straight by gently bending it into an upright position and attaching it to a cane.
- When he realised what had happened, he groaned and stood slowly, removing the chair from under him before looking over to me and glaring as he returned it to an upright position.
- This variation of a traditional hitch rack allows you to carry three to four bikes in an upright position, making the loading and unloading of bikes a breeze.
- The sidecar is free to pivot relative to the bike, so the bike can lean, steer, even fall over, while the sidecar maintains its upright position.
- These are placed in an upright position with their mouths upward, stopped up with seaweed or imperishable grass, and covered with earth.
- Make sure your tray tables are in the upright position.
- The colossal white columns, which lean forward 20 centimeters, will be returned to their upright position.
- Please return all seatbacks to their full upright position.
- It usually perches in a diagonal rather than upright position.
- Today, the stones lie flat and it is uncertain whether they were ever upright; excavations in 1901-2 failed to reveal any sockets.
- sit upright — siéntate derecho
- John was a much loved and respected member of the community, known for his upright and honest nature.
- A fine noble gentleman, honest and upright, he gained the respect of everybody.
- He seemed a decent fellow - honest, upright, considerate, and willing to put others before himself.
- The vast majority of them are decent, upright people who share our horror at what has happened.
- She was upright, Scottish and religious, and dominated my young life. She read to me for hours and gave me my faith, and I'm grateful to Nana for that.
- Its employment roster is a roll-call of upright citizens.
- Faultless and upright people have been killed.
- It attempts, in parallels, to raise serious political and emotional questions about the moral predicament of the present day upright people.
- It is lamentable that the defendant has to pay such a disastrous price to be an upright person.
- We need upright people in the council because there is important work to do.
- She was always kind, and he certainly loved eating her cookies, which he was fed fairly often, but she always made James slightly nervous, in that she was extremely upright all the time.
- Job recovered in the end, but many just, upright men do not.
- Born in Warwickshire, she was the daughter of a land agent whose moral qualities are reflected in those of the upright Adam Bede.
- Being of upright character is not at all a prerequisite for being a pop star.
- Most business people are upright citizens; but that does not change the fact that business is conducted for private gain and not for public benefit.
- I could also extend effective protection to upright officers who happened to displease powerful politicians.
- Corruption like all other vices is a moral issue and we feel that the public can avoid being accomplices if they are morally upright.
- When officials are upright and vigilant, drivers will be extra cautious.
- A somber, upright man, he is interested only in truth and justice.
- This is the engaging story of an upright man's quest to protect his family, find love, and see justice done.
1(post)Architecture Building montante masculine(of bookcase) soporte vertical masculine(of goal) poste masculine
- The ‘smart’ fence uses breakable metal pins inserted between the top pole and the uprights supporting it.
- The winds, which had now swung south-east sent great waves over those who still clung to anything they could get a grip on, such as chains, steel uprights or iron support bars.
- The most common arch form is constructed of steel uprights supported in concrete-filled oil drums, with a trellised head spanning the road.
- Now the two floors of the restaurant are laid out around the stout timber uprights which support the internal floors.
- The drive wheel is held by a pair of short posts, and the uprights and spokes are very ornately turned.
- Typical of the Medway group of long barrows, it comprises three large uprights supporting a single massive capstone.
- He worked his hands up the carved stone uprights and grunted as he got a knee over the balcony's lip and rolled over the railing.
- In this case, there are four antennas mounted on each of the three upright support structures.
- Fires have burnt most of the uprights to charred stumps but the thick wooden corner posts are still intact.
- A locked metal gate supported by two thick concrete uprights stood in the way.
- Carefully I climbed over the rickety fence, just wooden poles slung between uprights.
- The spaces between the posts are filled in with redwood patterned inserts or detailed uprights that can alternate in size for extra design interest.
- Hutton Mount Limited reported the removal of the horizontal barrier in a recent newsletter and said the bollards and uprights were to remain standing as a ‘very effective speed restriction’.
- Near the centre was a tall standing stone now marked by a concrete obelisk, adjacent to which was a short straight line of stones which may have formed one side of a square around the central upright.
- The timbers were the uprights of wattle fences, the complex containing up to 100,000 square feet or 30,500 square metres of fencing, some of which still survives.
- Make sure safety bars are inserted into the uprights.
2also upright pianopiano vertical masculine
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!