1Forming names denoting natives of a country.‘Israelite’
- 1.1derogatory Denoting followers of a movement, doctrine, etc.‘Luddite’‘Thatcherite’
- 1.1derogatory Denoting followers of a movement, doctrine, etc.
2Used in scientific and technical terms.
- 2.1Forming names of fossil organisms.‘ammonite’
- 2.2Forming names of minerals.‘graphite’
- 2.3Forming names of constituent parts of a body or organ.‘somite’
- 2.4Forming names of explosives and other commercial products.‘dynamite’‘vulcanite’
- 2.5Chemistry Forming names of salts or esters of acids ending in -ous.‘sulphite’
- 2.1Forming names of fossil organisms.
From French -ite, via Latin -ita from Greek ītes.
1Forming adjectives such as composite, erudite.
2Forming nouns such as appetite.
3Forming verbs such as unite.
From Latin -itus, past participle of verbs ending in -ere and -ire.