1Relating to or characteristic of the United States or its inhabitants.
- ‘a leading American industrial company’
- 1.1Relating to or denoting the continents of America.
- ‘the American continent south of the tropic of Cancer’
1A native or citizen of the United States.
- 1.1usually with adjective A native or inhabitant of any of the countries of North, South, or Central America.
2The English language as it is used in the United States; American English.
- the American dream
The ideal by which equality of opportunity is available to any American, allowing the highest aspirations and goals to be achieved.‘a workaholic lawyer who seems to be living the American dream’
- ‘he could achieve the American dream only by hard work’