1A member of an ancient nomadic people who overran Asia Minor in the 7th century BC.
A member of a mythical people living in perpetual mist and darkness near the land of the dead.
1Relating to the ancient Cimmerians.‘the tombs of the Cimmerian kings’
- ‘A full Jurassic succession is rarely preserved in the southern North Sea Basin because of erosion associated with the late Cimmerian unconformity.’
- ‘Like other blocks of the Cimmerian continent, the Baoshan block rifted from Gondwanaland.’
- ‘The Cimmerian islands, the present Turkey, Iran and Tibet, broke completely free of the Australian craton and moved rapidly to the north.’
- ‘Cimmeria begins its collision with Laurasia to form the Cimmerian orogeny.’
- ‘Throughout this interval the Indo-China, Sibumasu and Cimmerian mini-continents lay just to the south/west of South China and were slowly amalgamating with that block.’
2Relating to or characteristic of the mythical Cimmerians or the perpetual mist and darkness in which they lived.
- ‘a dense fog shrouded the lonely mountain in Cimmerian darkness’
Via Latin from Greek Kimmerios+ -an.