1A flat, round-toed shoe for women and girls, with a single strap across the top.‘Lately I've seen some incredibly sexy styles reminiscent of a Mary Jane, but with an ankle strap and wedge heels that might be better for skirts.’
- ‘With a feminine, retro look and a just a bit of funk, these pretty Mary Jane pumps can be used to dress up a pair of jeans and are equally at home with one of this season's long, flowing skirts.’
- ‘This Mary Jane style with a buckle and thin sole is one of our most popular styles.’
- ‘Mary Jane shoes are widely worn by women of all ages.’
- ‘We found her a dark green dress with fringe at the ends and some Mary Janes to go with it.’
2 informal Marijuana.
- ‘There, you can have all the women you want, do some Mary Jane, drink beer, have fun, its an awesome place, dude.’
- ‘She had written four bestselling novels at the time, but she was once a Mary Jane addict, and bought drugs off the streets.’
- ‘Today, I will begin to withhold smoking pot, and replace pot with something else that gives me pleasure. I will miss Mary Jane very much, but I know quitting is the right thing to do.’
- ‘Mary Jane, sweet as her name sounds, is far from innocuous, causing more lung damage than its evil cousin, tobacco.’
Early 20th century from the female forename Mary Jane.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips