An order of predatory flying insects that includes the lacewings, snake flies, and ant lions. They have four finely veined membranous wings.‘On the other hand, there was diverse evolution within the surviving orders, the Neuroptera, Mecoptera, and Diptera, and Coleoptera being notable examples.’
- ‘This pattern of late trait development appears to occur in all of the basal holometabolous orders of insects (e.g., Megaloptera, Neuroptera, and Mecoptera), and in the more basal families of the Coleoptera, Diptera and Hymenoptera.’
- 1.1Insects of the order Neuroptera.‘the larvae of certain neuroptera’
- ‘Several countries, states, and provinces list species of neuroptera that are considered rare or possibly threatened with extinction.’
- ‘Cardboard bands have been used to monitor a variety of overwintering predatory arthropods, including Neuroptera, spiders, and Heteroptera, all taxa that were monitored in the present study.’
- ‘Vibrational communication among group members might also be expected in taxa such as many lepidopterans, some aphids, Neuroptera, tingid bugs, and ant-attended cicadellids and fulgoroids.’
Modern Latin (plural), from neuro- in the sense ‘veined’ + Greek pteron ‘wing’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips