Relating to or denoting the first Paleolithic culture in Europe, now usually referred to as the Lower Acheulean.‘the hand axes still retain the Abbevillian features’
- ‘The researchers identified in the cave three different ancient human cultures: Acheulean, Abbevillian, and Mousterian.’
- ‘Early Acheulian or Abbevillian begins in Karnataka around 1.5 million years ago and advance Acheulian continues up to 15 million years ago at Patpara in Son Valley.’
- ‘Extensive archeological finds of obsidian instruments roughly fashioned by the primitive man indicate ancient human settlements in Armenia, dating back to the Old Stone Age (Abbevillian culture) and further onwards.’
- ‘Subdivisions of the Paleolithic include the: Lower Paleolithic (Oldowan, Clactonian, Abbevillian, Acheulean), Middle Paleolithic, the time of the hand axe-industries and Upper Paleolithic (Châtelperronian, Aurignacian, Solutrean, Gravettian, Magdalenian).’
The first Paleolithic culture in Europe, now usually referred to as the Lower Acheulean.
- ‘the earlier phases of the African Acheulean equate with the Abbevillian of Europe’
1930s from French Abbevillien ‘from Abbeville’, a town in northern France where tools from this culture were discovered.