1accommodationsNorth American Temporary lodgings, sometimes also including board.
- ‘the company offers a number of guesthouse accommodations in Cape Cod’
- 1.1British A room, group of rooms, or building in which someone may live or stay.
housing, lodging, lodgings, living quarters, quarters, rooms, chambersView synonyms
- ‘they were living in temporary accommodation’
- 1.2The available space for occupants in a building, vehicle, or vessel.
space, room, seatingView synonyms
- ‘there was lifeboat accommodation for 1,178 people’
- 1.3The provision of a room or lodging.
- ‘the building is used exclusively for the accommodation of guests’
2A convenient arrangement; a settlement or compromise.
arrangement, understanding, settlement, accord, deal, bargain, compromiseView synonyms
- ‘management was seeking an accommodation with labor’
3The process of adapting or adjusting to someone or something.
adjustment, adaptation, attunement, fitting in, habituation, acclimatization, acclimation, acculturation, inurement, hardening, seasoning, conditioning, familiarization, assimilation, integration, domestication, naturalizationView synonyms
- ‘ accommodation to a separate political entity was not possible’
- 3.1Physiology The automatic adjustment of the focus of the eye by flattening or thickening of the lens.
- ‘the power of accommodation to near objects’
Early 17th century from Latin accommodatio(n-), from accommodare ‘fit one thing to another’ (see accommodate).