(also adzuki bean)
1A small, round dark-red edible bean.‘Vegetarians can use aduki or mung beans.’
- ‘Locals order shaved ice with ice cream and adzuki, Japanese sweet beans.’
- ‘In a large bowl, combine the broad beans, chard, raw peas, tomatoes, spring onions, herbs, aduki beans and millet.’
- ‘We have this year's crop of adzuki beans almost sold already.’
- ‘Lentils, adzuki beans, and chickpeas are often easier to digest than other kinds of beans.’
2The bushy leguminous Asian plant that produces the adzuki bean.
Vigna angularis, family Leguminosae‘Two edible beans were selected for compatibility with the producers' existing cropping practices: the adzuki and the chickpea.’
- ‘Before the Adzuki plant has reached maturity, the beans are green and contain a high proportion of water.’
- ‘Plus, you can grow adzuki plants from the beans.’
Early 18th century from Japanese azuki.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips