Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(in Muslim countries, especially under the Ottoman Empire) a military commander or official.
- ‘The aga was also charged of controlling all the goods and passengers to embark since they needed the beys permission’
- ‘Many of the exiled agas eventually found their ways back from Syria and took up their feudal roles, but they did not reclaim this village.’
- ‘Wealthy Turkish Agas and Beys lived in the town as well.’
- ‘There were rumours that she had been outraged and murdered by a Turkish aga.’
- ‘Ida and her family also have to abandon the country after the Turkish aga decided to marry her and to make her part of his harem.’
Mid 16th century from Turkish ağa ‘master, lord’, from Mongolian aqa.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips