Used to express a range of emotions including surprise, pleasure, sympathy, and realization.‘ah, there you are!’
- ‘ah, this is the life’
- ‘Ah I see what you mean.’
- ‘Ah, that's much better.’
- ‘‘Ah, you poor child,’ answered the old woman, ‘what a place for you to come to!‘’
- ‘Ah, what did i get myself into? help please ...’
- ‘There is a Polish folksong that I learned in school and the English translation starts, "Ah, lovely meadows green and wide."’
Middle English from Old French.
In the year of the Hegira (used in the Muslim calendar for reckoning years from Muhammad's departure from Mecca in AD 622); of the Muslim era.
- ‘a Koran dated 556 AH’
From Latin anno Hegirae.