Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
An alley in a formal garden or park, bordered by trees or bushes.
- ‘But then came the Industrial Revolution and mass production, and parterres, allées and garden ornaments again were status symbols.’
- ‘To one side a hidden pergola overlooks the lake and on the other side an allée of lime trees leads to an oval pool garden.’
- ‘Inside are three full-scale soccer pitches, set off by allées of plane trees like those along the boulevard Port-Royal.’
- ‘Placed symbolically in full view at the corner of the administration building on the Charles de Fitte allées, is the ‘tool-box’ of the harmoncian-architect.’
- ‘One block from the entrance to the Stade Carpentier is the allée Marc Chagall, a whole row of artists' dwellings.’
Mid 18th century French.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips