Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Land recorded in Domesday Book as belonging to the Crown.
- ‘Alsop, which had been an ancient demesne of the crown, was granted to William de Ferrers, Earl of Derby.’
- ‘For many centuries individual entries from Domesday were copied as evidence of ancient demesne and land title.’
- ‘There is much that is of interest in ancient demesne procedure and some points that are not yet clear, but it is clearly accepted as outside common-law jurisdiction.’
- ‘In 1278 it was considered that Rickmansworth was ancient demesne of the Crown and had been from time immemorial and in possession of the abbots of St. Albans before the Conquest of England.’
- ‘The Domesday Book also tells us that Pimperne was one of the manors of the ancient demesne of the Crown from which the king received a fixed rent.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips