Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
(of bones or a joint) be or become stiffened or united by ankylosis.
- ‘An ankylosed tooth can force adjacent teeth out of position, which can affect the bite.’
- ‘The half-vertebra is, as a rule, ankylosed to adjacent vertebrae.’
- ‘Undeterred by a permanently ankylosed knee joint, he joined the Malayan medical service.’
- ‘Few reports address the reconstructive challenge of total knee arthroplasty after a surgically fused or ankylosed knee.’
- ‘Ankylosed teeth fail to erupt to meet their counterparts in the opposite jaw.’
- ‘Removal of an ankylosed tooth may be difficult and traumatic leading to esthetic bony ridge deformities and optimal prosthetic treatment interferences.’
Late 18th century back-formation from ankylosis, on the pattern of words such as anastomose.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips