Abnormal stiffening and immobility of a joint due to fusion of the bones.‘There was ankylosis of both sacroiliac joints.’
- ‘Pain relief and frequent passive movements prevent contractures and joint ankylosis.’
- ‘Spondylitis means inflammation of the spine, and ankylosis means that a joint has become fixed solid so that it cannot bend.’
- ‘Only erosive osteoarthritis has erosions and ankylosis.’
- ‘X-rays taken on March 20 showed that Peltier suffered from ankylosis on both sides of his mandible, meaning that his jaw was completely frozen and immobile.’
- ‘This condition, known as TMJ ankylosis, needs to be identified and corrected in childhood to restore jaw function and facial harmony.’
Early 18th century from Greek ankulōsis, from ankuloun ‘to crook’, from ankulos ‘crooked’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips