Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A granular igneous rock composed largely of labradorite or another plagioclase.
- ‘Because of the preponderance of the mineral anorthite (a calcium-rich variety of the mineral plagioclase feldspar) this rock type is called anorthosite.’
- ‘Coarse-grained anorthosite is the predominant rock type in these bodies.’
- ‘The plagioclase crystals would have formed subcircular lenses of anorthosite that punctuated background chromite accumulation.’
- ‘Wood's second audacious - and completely unsubstantiated - claim was that all the lunar highlands were made of the rock anorthosite.’
- ‘An area that contains over 90% anorthosite is currently being quarried near the preserve.’
Mid 19th century from French anorthose ‘plagioclase’ + -ite.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips