Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
An insectivorous, long-legged, short-tailed bird which typically has dark grey plumage in the male, found mainly in the tropical forests of South America.
Family Formicariidae: several genera
- ‘Here we report an 8-year study of this system in a tropical passerine bird, the dusky antbird.’
- ‘Small flies laid their eggs in the bodies of the escaping insects; antbirds grabbed most of the bugs the flies didn't claim.’
- ‘Likewise, trunks for foraging woodpeckers and vegetational structures for dead-leaf foraging antbirds are found throughout the midstory, often extending into the understory and canopy.’
- ‘Because of their cryptic coloration and secretive habits, ground antbirds are more often heard than seen.’
- ‘Only 7 percent remains of the original 400,000-square-mile forest, home to hundreds of species of trees and animals like tapirs, jaguars and the rare marsh antbird.’