Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The part of a stamen that contains the pollen.
- ‘For estimation of pollen production, two anthers from each flower bud were examined.’
- ‘They eat exposed pollen on the anthers, while other pollen grains adhere to their legs.’
- ‘Fresh pollen was collected from anthers on plants by gently tapping the stems of plants while holding a collecting tray below the tassels.’
- ‘When taking nectar, hummingbirds contacted anthers, receiving pollen on their bill.’
- ‘There are usually about 20 stamens, with anthers that range from pink to burgundy in color.’
Early 18th century from French anthère or modern Latin anthera, from Greek anthēra ‘flowery’, from anthos ‘flower’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips