Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The flowering period of a plant, from the opening of the flower bud.
- ‘Anthers were isolated from flowers at anthesis and pollen grains were collected.’
- ‘In the field the plants displayed many flowers at full anthesis.’
- ‘In principal, the length of flower anthesis depends on pollination and removal of the pollinium.’
- ‘In an individual flower, anthesis starts at the end of the day and by the time the bats start feeding, there is copious pollen.’
- ‘On the day of anthesis, unopened flowers and flowers that had opened on previous days were removed from each branch.’
Mid 19th century from Greek anthēsis ‘flowering’, from anthein ‘to blossom’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips