Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A substance that interferes with the normal metabolic processes within cells, typically by combining with enzymes.
- ‘The class of anticancer drugs that has been developed to interfere with aspects of nucleotide metabolism is known as the antimetabolites.’
- ‘With the latter therapy, once patients are weaned from steroids, the purine antimetabolite is continued for an indefinite period while the physician monitors white blood cell count and liver enzymes.’
- ‘Most forms of gout can be treated by administering the antimetabolite, allopurinol.’
- ‘Clofarabine, a type of drug called a purine nucleoside antimetabolite, works by blocking the production and repair of DNA, the building blocks of genes.’
- ‘Methotrexate is an antimetabolite that, apart from its use in malignant disorders, is taken orally in low doses for the control of conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis and psoriasis.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips