1An angel of greater than ordinary rank.
- ‘St Thomas Aquinas had an arrangement of angels - they ranged from angels, archangels and so on up to seraphims.’
- ‘As the most beautiful of God's archangels (a high rank of angels) he became jealous of God's appointed heir and, gathering other angels around him, mounted a challenge.’
- ‘From Fludds illustration of The Three Worlds, in Figure I, the Intellectual World can be seen as ruled over by the angels and archangels.’
- ‘Satan, a sceptical archangel, offers an experiment to test whether Job's piety is really sincere or predicated on his God-given wealth.’
- ‘He was one of the Lord's three archangels, a specially created angel who was entrusted with a particular anointing.’
- ‘God turned to His servant, the archangel Michael.’
- ‘The third principle is that the Koran is the word of God dictated to Muhammad through the archangel Gabriel.’
- ‘Of the seven archangels Raphael is the one usually associated with Mercury, the planet traditionally taken as the planetary ruler of astrology.’
- ‘The Spitalfields coins, issued in 1509, carry an image of the archangel St Michael defeating a reptilian devil.’
- ‘The archangel Michael, located on the left side in the painting, wears armour and holds the scales of justice and his sword.’
- ‘The first part of the text is confused, but we are told that the powerful oath was entrusted to the archangel Michael.’
- ‘Billy Connolly will undergo an image change for his latest film role by playing the archangel Gabriel.’
- ‘In Christianity the fallen archangel becomes the devil, the Christ child is the son of God.’
- ‘Cast in Biblical terms, the poem announces that humankind is unable to recognize the divine reflected in such symbols as archangels.’
- ‘The ‘seven spirits’ might be the seven archangels of Jewish angelology or else the sevenfold spirit of God.’
- ‘On the door there are usually life-size representations of the archangels Gabriel and Michael, above which there are several rows of other icons, including saints, martyrs, and apostles.’
- ‘Islam, Muslims believe the Koran was revealed to Mohammed, in Mecca, by an archangel in approximately 610AD and he dictated it to his companions.’
- ‘Her face could have been that of Joanna's, the archangel of healing.’
- ‘During the sixth century, Skellig monks set up the monastery in honour of the archangel Michael, patron of high places.’
- 1.1(in traditional Christian angelology) a being of the eighth-highest order of the ninefold celestial hierarchy.
- ‘From the highest to the lowest in rank, the orders are seraphim, cherubim, thrones, dominions, virtues, powers, principalities, archangels, and angels.’
- ‘There are three types of beings: angels, archangels, and virtues fall into one category, and their nature is inherently good.’
- ‘Saint Michael belongs to the choir of angels called the Archangels, usually listed eighth of the nine choirs.’
2(also yellow archangel)A yellow-flowered Eurasian dead-nettle found in woodland.
Lamiastrum galeobdolon (or Galeobdolon luteum), family Labiatae
- ‘But to Sheffield Hallam University lecturer Ian Rotherham, the variegated yellow archangel is a puzzle to be solved.’
- ‘The conifers are now largely gone, and bluebells, early purple orchids and yellow archangels have returned.’
- ‘Fortunately, yellow archangel is easy to pull out, making control efforts both tolerable and worthwhile.’
- ‘It is also very clear that yellow archangel is almost always spread by cuttings or as yard waste into natural areas.’
- ‘The Glens are particularly outstanding in the spring with an amazing display of bluebells, wood anemones and yellow archangels that cover the floor of the woodland.’
Middle English, from Anglo-Norman French archangele, via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek arkhangelos, from arkhi- ‘chief’ + angelos ‘messenger, angel’.
A port of north-western Russia, on the White Sea; population 348,700 (est. 2008). It is named after the monastery of the Archangel Michael situated there.