Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A disease of the arteries characterized by the deposition of fatty material on their inner walls.
- ‘The underlying cause of most heart attacks is atherosclerosis, a disease of the coronary arteries that usually develops over many years.’
- ‘The commonest cause of thrombosis in arteries is atherosclerosis.’
- ‘Inflammation plays a central role in atherosclerosis, in which fatty deposits clog your arteries.’
- ‘In atherosclerosis, fatty plaques develop on the inner lining so that the normal flow of blood is reduced.’
- ‘High levels of homocysteine have been associated with atherosclerosis and cerebrovascular disease.’
Early 20th century coined in German from Greek athērē ‘groats’ + sklērōsis ‘hardening’ (see sclerosis).
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips