Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The space below the shoulder through which vessels and nerves enter and leave the upper arm; a person's armpit.
- ‘The T2 nerve root controls the palms on either side and the T4 nerve root controls the axilla and armpit.’
- ‘A holosystolic murmur that may radiate to the axilla, the upper sternal borders or the subscapular region is apparent on physical examination.’
- ‘Extremities showed tenderness over the right shoulder and axilla.’
- ‘Although outbreaks can occur almost anywhere, the axillae, web spaces between fingers, and flexor surfaces of the wrists are the most common areas.’
- ‘The nurse preps the patient's breast, chest, axilla, and upper arm with the surgeon's solution of choice and drapes the patient to expose these areas.’
- 1.1Botany An axil.‘Basal branches emerged from lower axillas and developed earlier.’‘In coconut palms, egg-laying occurs at the axillas of the leaves.’
Early 17th century from Latin, diminutive of ala ‘wing’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips