Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
Bearing berries.‘For yuccas, Addicott notes that the baccate (fleshy-fruited) species typically lose more seeds to yucca moth larvae than do the dry-fruited capsular yuccas.’
- ‘The fruits are ordinarily dehiscent capsules, while some species have baccate fruits or nut-like fruits.’
- ‘Fruits are occasionally baccate, usually capsular and sometimes winged or lobed, or indehiscent and dry or fleshy.’
- ‘We are somewhat skeptical of the potential for crosses between baccate species (Y. baccata and Y. madrensis) and capsular species (Y. elata).’
- ‘Seedling germination was generally rapid in capsular-fruited species, slower in those with baccate fruits; the longest germination time after sowing was 4 months for Mouriri myrtilloides.’
- 1.1Of the nature of a berry.
Mid 19th century from Latin baccatus.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips