Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1A light truck or pickup truck.
lorry, articulated lorry, heavy goods vehicle, juggernaut
- ‘They were especially successful in sales of bakkies (pick-ups).’
- ‘Three people died and six others were injured when a bakkie and a truck collided outside Stutterheim yesterday afternoon.’
- ‘Sales of new light commercial vehicles, bakkies and minibuses had also maintained strong upward momentum.’
- ‘There are many factors that give us a high pedestrian death toll as there are for those killed when travelling in cars, bakkies, taxis, buses and on the backs of open trucks.’
- ‘Timm attempted to block the gateway with his bakkie as the police car transporting the accused tried to leave through the court gate.’
2A small basin or other container.‘Back at camp we enjoyed lovely showers (OK, the manual pick-up-a-bakkie-of-water-out-the-drum-and-throw-it over-your-head shower).’
Afrikaans, from bak ‘container’ + the diminutive suffix -ie.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips