Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
The measurement of depth of water in oceans, seas, or lakes.
- ‘Each of those sections commences with an overview of the relevant oceans, oceanography, bathymetry, and meteorology.’
- ‘Measuring the relief of the ocean floor, expressed as the varying depth below sea level, is the chore known as bathymetry.’
- ‘The pre-eruption bathymetry shows a submarine extension of the Tar River valley.’
- ‘The reconstruction of the historical charts has revealed major changes in the evolution of the coastline and the associated bathymetry of the Inner Thermaikos Gulf.’
- ‘This technique has been especially useful in recognizing gradients related to environmental factors such as climate, bathymetry, vegetation, or substrate types.’
Mid 19th century from Greek bathus ‘deep’ + -metry.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips