Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
A plant of a genus that comprises the barberries.
Genus Berberis, family Berberidaceae
- ‘This is cheap and easy to do with specimens such as berberis, buddleia, cornus, kerria, philadelphus, spirea and willow.’
- ‘Plants which will give year-round interest but don't require much work include Mahonia x media, berberis verruculosa, weigela, euonymus, hebe, kniphofia, Sedum spectabile, wild geranium and Arum italicum.’
- ‘Plant berry-bearing plants in your garden, such as hawthorn, rowan, holly, cotoneaster and berberis.’
- ‘Although pruning isn't strictly necessary for deciduous berberis and cotoneaster, they can be thinned out by one third in February to keep then within bounds.’
- ‘I'd love to see it planted with dark-burgundy Cosmos atrosanguineus and red-leaved cotinus or berberis, though it would also liven up a planting of soft peach and apricot roses.’
Modern Latin and Old French, from medieval Latin barbaris.