A North American freshwater fish of the sunfish family, which is a popular sporting and food fish.
Genus Micropterus, family Centrarchidae: several species, in particular the largemouth bass (M. salmoides) and the smallmouth bass (M. dolomieui)
- ‘The twin lakes are stocked with channel catfish, blue catfish, bluegill sunfish and largemouth bass.’
- ‘Adult fish were reintroduced to Central Long in late May 1995 (9 smallmouth bass, 9 largemouth bass, and 155 yellow perch).’
- ‘Fish for rainbow, brook, and brown trout, and smallmouth bass.’
- ‘For example, brook trout were rarely collected in northeastern lakes with smallmouth bass.’
- ‘If you'd rather be fishing, head to Little Seneca Lake in Black Hill Regional Park, just north of Germantown, where you might hook some largemouth bass, tiger musky, crappie, catfish, and several types of sunfish.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips