Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
1historical Blue powder used to preserve the whiteness of laundry.
- ‘Take care when using bluing or laundry bleaches or hair dyes and rinses.’
- ‘No longer do we have to deal with hot bluing or boiled linseed oil.’
- ‘Whiteners can be either bleach or bluing agents.’
- ‘We found out she had used blueing - normally used to whiten linens - in her hair rinse water.’
- ‘I use liquid fabric softener, added to the cycle at just the right time, yes with bluing for extra whiteness.’
2A greyish-blue finish on metal produced by heating.
- ‘Highly polished bluing - probably the most beautiful of all the finishes - is no longer financially feasible in the small gun shop.’
- ‘Similarly, when you are retouching worn spots on areas like floor plates, frames or barrels, the color of the original bluing can vary greatly.’
- ‘Other manufacturers may make rifles with fancier stocks, brighter bluing, better checkering and polishing.’
- ‘The bluing was worn off both sides of the barrel deep into the silver bare metal, as was the cylinder.’
- ‘A kid with a real gun was more diligent at cleaning than most folks, so it never got pitted but the bluing was sure rubbed away.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips