1break something off, break off somethingRemove something from a larger unit or whole.
snap off, pull off, sever, detach, separateView synonyms
- ‘Tucker broke off a piece of bread’
- 1.1break offBecome severed.
snap off, come off, become detached, become separated, become severedView synonyms
- ‘the fuselage had broken off just behind the pilot's seat’
2Abruptly stop talking.
- ‘she broke off, stifling a sob’
3break something off, break off somethingAbruptly end or discontinue something.
end, bring to an end, terminate, put an end to, call a halt to, stop, cease, finish, dissolveView synonyms
- ‘Britain threatened to break off diplomatic relations’