Basic Guidelines For English Spellings
1Involving or causing sudden great damage or suffering.
destructive, ruinous, disastrous, catastrophic, calamitous, cataclysmicView synonyms
- ‘a catastrophic earthquake’
- 1.1Extremely unfortunate or unsuccessful.
disastrous, calamitous, cataclysmic, ruinous, tragic, fatal, dire, awful, terrible, dreadful, black, woeful, grievous, lamentable, miserable, unfortunateView synonyms
- ‘catastrophic mismanagement of the economy’
- 1.2Involving a sudden and large-scale alteration in state.
disastrous, catastrophic, calamitous, tragic, devastating, ruinous, terrible, violent, awfulView synonyms
- ‘the body undergoes catastrophic collapse towards the state of a black hole’
- 1.3Relating to geological catastrophism.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips