Basic Guidelines For Spanish PronunciationsREAD THIS ARTICLE
1A vegetable extract containing tannin, especially one obtained from the heartwood of an Indian acacia tree, used for tanning and dyeing.
- ‘Gutkha is a mixture of areca, catechu, betel nut, lime, tobacco and mint.’
- ‘Extracts of areca catechu, rhus coppallina, diospyros virginiana, sassafrass albidium, and chenopodium ambrosiodes were found to produce tumors in rats.’
- ‘Nair et al. first demonstrated that aqueous extracts of areca nut and catechu were capable of generating superoxide anion and hydrogen peroxide at pH > 9.5.’
- ‘It consists of a dried paste that often includes tobacco, areca nuts, catechu, and scent or flavoring.’
- ‘Sprinkle on a little burnt lime with some catechu gum of a Malayan acacia tree and add a touch of nutmeg and cardamom for flavor.’
- 1.1another term for gambier
Late 17th century modern Latin, from Malay kacu. Compare with cachou.