Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Any of a group of semi-synthetic broad-spectrum antibiotics resembling penicillin.
- ‘The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.’
- ‘Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.’
- ‘Patients who are allergic to penicillin can be treated with erythromycin or first-generation cephalosporins (if there is no immediate-type hypersensitivity to beta-lactam antibiotics).’
- ‘After performing aspiration, appropriate antibiotic therapy (including penicillin, clindamycin, cephalosporins, or metronidazole) must be initiated.’
- ‘Enterococci are inherently resistant to cephalosporins, semi-synthetic penicillins, and clindamycin.’
1950s from modern Latin Cephalosporium(genus providing moulds for this) + -in.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips