A division of lower plants that includes the stoneworts, which are frequently treated as a class (Charophyceae ) of the green algae.
- ‘The charophycean lineage includes the Chlorokybales, Klebsormidiales, Conjugophyta, the Coleochaetales and the Charophyta.’
- ‘The maximum depth of Charophyta occurrence is 7 meters, and most of the species do not spread to the depth of 1 meter.’
- ‘There are only four genera of Charophyta occurring in North America.’
- ‘At present, 16 species of Charophyta are known in Crimea, that is more than half of the number of species recorded in Ukraine.’
- ‘The Charophyta have recently been referred to as the Streptophyta, but the reasons given for this change in nomenclature are probably insufficient.’
Modern Latin (plural), former name of the family Characeae, from Chara (genus name) + phuton ‘a plant’.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips