Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
A lower plant of the division Charophyta, such as a stonewort.
- ‘An increase in turgor also causes a depolarization in the turgor-regulating charophytes Chara longifolia and Lamprothamnium succinctum.’
- ‘These features suggest that the common ancestor of charophytes and land plants had a life cycle similar to that of charophytes, and that the common ancestor of bryophytes and vascular plants was gametophyte-dominant.’
- ‘Unlike the other green algae, the charophytes share with plants the phragmoplast method of cell division, and the asymmetric arrangement of their sperm flagella.’
- ‘Like many other charophytes desmids have no flagella; they were lost at some point in the group's evolution.’
- ‘Only plants and charophytes divide their cells with the aid of a phragmoplast.’
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips