Basic Guidelines For English SpellingsREAD THESE ARTICLES
Asymmetric in such a way that the structure and its mirror image are not superimposable.
- ‘Most alkaloids are also chiral molecules, meaning they have nonsuperimposable mirror images.’
- ‘The resulting chiral nematic giant liquid crystals had wide temperature ranges for their liquid crystal phases, from room temperature to about 80° Celsius.’
- ‘The most common examples of chiral molecules are enantiomers.’
- ‘The second type is the cholesteric liquid crystal phase, also called the chiral nematic liquid crystal phase.’
- ‘A molecule that is not symmetric - that is, a molecule without a plane of symmetry - is termed dissymmetric, or chiral.’
Late 19th century from Greek kheir ‘hand’ + -al.
Are You Learning English? Here Are Our Top English Tips